The 'magic beans quandary'


I got introduced to trade nations by a friend of mine…. It was an instant attraction as the game is a conundrum of awesomeness and coolness!! For the non-gaming people, trade nations is a game similar to age of the empires where you’re given a nation and you have to develop it by buying farms, building houses and assigning people to different jobs. You get awarded points as you become industrialised i.e. build houses and markets, trade between friends and build roads.

The difference between trade nations and age of empires is magic beans!!
You get a couple of magic beans- and you can download different apps to get more magic beans- when you start playing which you can use to speed up building houses, or harvesting wheat from your farm. So I was introduced to trade nations on Thursday last week and was at level one but with the help of magic beans, I was on level 7 by Sunday (I’m going somewhere with this, I promise). At one point yesterday, my friend called to ask how many bundles of magic beans I had gotten because she had been to my town- yep, your friends can pop into your town and see how you’re doing- and was amazed at how far along I had come.

This got me thinking: It is possible to have a ‘magic beans’ attitude about life- real life now, not the gaming world. An attitude that tries to find ways to speed up the process of living- in order to get to the next stage of life, in the hopes that that stage would be a lot easier than what you’re experiencing at the moment. I read a story a while ago, I can’t remember where from, about someone seeing a butterfly struggling to break out of a cocoon, and then tries to help the butterfly by breaking the cocoon but after freeing the butterfly discovers that one of its wings isn't well-formed. Apparently, as the butterfly breaks itself out the cocoon, its wings becomes stronger by the process. I know from personal experience that in the midst of a testing, all you want is for the test to be over and it isn’t at all easy to think of the benefits of that testing at that point in time. James 1:2-4 says:

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come
at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your
faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colours. So
don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work
so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way…
[The message]

In order words, trials come to make us strong and although we don’t have
magic beans to help speed up the process of that trial or the particular frustrating situation you may find yourself in, we have an amazing God who loves us so
so much and desires the best for us. He would never leave us nor forsake us and would see us through.


2 comments:

Jennifer A. said...

I love this post so much. Thanks for this.

Gee said...

Aww..glad you like it Jaycee..

About Me

My photo
I've been saved by grace, redeemed by HIS love!! Still amazed that God calls me His friend... I'm a growing Christian, I love God and want to serve Him to the best of my abilities!

Followers

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger