Making friends

As long as I can remember, my dad has always prayed for us to have friends- it used to make my sisters and I giggle when he would pray,

And dear Lord, I pray that you surround them with good Christian friends to walk with them and to play with them’.

I didn't think much about this prayer when I was in nursery and primary school where making friends depended on your ability to dominate the school playground, be a pro at games and know the reigning songs from start to finish- also to be honest I was quite carefree when I was a lot younger J


All through university, Youth Service, my master’s degree and moving to new places away from family and friends, I have made friends in unusual ways and in weird places. I have met genuinely nice people in taxis, at bus stops, and through random people. Friends who have stood with me through thick and thin, who have prayed me through difficult situations, cheered at my successes and encouraged me when I felt down.

So I thought about my Dad’s prayer again last week after I got off the phone with one of my friends. I praised God for the wisdom He gave my Dad- we always thought it was amusing that my daddy thought it important to pray for the friends we would make at every phrase in our lives. A popular quote says ‘Show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are’ and this is true because the friends you make in life can either encourage you or help you fulfil your goals or hinder you.

So, this is both a shout-out to the amazing friends that God has given me- You’re all very amazing!!! And a prayer as well:


Thank you Heavenly Father for blessing me with amazing friends!

Thank you for the foresight You gave my Dad to pray ahead

For the friends I’d need in the different phases I go through..

And I pray that you’ll help me be a better friend to my friends,

Help me to genuinely care and encourage them in the different stages of their lives.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NLT)


2 comments:

Jennifer A. said...

As I child, I won't have understood your dad's prayer either (lol). But now, it makes perfect sense. Friends can either make or break a soul. Thank God He prayed that way.

Renegade said...

Yay for good friends!

About Me

My photo
I've been saved by grace, redeemed by HIS love!! Still amazed that God calls me His friend... I'm a growing Christian, I love God and want to serve Him to the best of my abilities!

Followers

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger