The hairy inquisition

One of the cool things about being a black woman is the ability to change up our hair in a day-to go from rocking kinky haired twists

to straight hair
can be as easy as a phone call to your hair stylist, and if she's your pal, like mine is, then you can have a brand new do in less than 24 hrs.....

The not so cool thing about this is having to explain to your colleagues at work, what happened to you during the weekend that caused this metamorphosis to occur. I know people who actually keep the same hairstyle just to avoid the questions that colleagues ask when they step into work the next day.

I usually keep it simple and say- I got my hair braided but you can see the questions in their eyes: but your hair or what I assumed was your hair wasn't this long before and it wasn't this colour so how is this possible???

The braver work mates usually ask further questions like: how long did it take? Did it hurt to get it done? Sometimes, I'm tempted to go all out and give them what I think they secretly yearn for and say something like:

The art of braiding my hair is a serious complicated ritual that is handed down from generation to generation, the actual braiding can only be done on a certain day of the month and there has to be a hair braiding priest at the braiding ceremony.

As each hair strand is being braided, the priest has to chant a certain African Hymn. Once the hair has been braided, I have to perform a ritual dance around my flat which is monitored by the priest and if I don’t perform the dance according to the instructions dictated by the priest, the hair is loosened immediately….

I want to spin complex tales of hair rituals and complicated processes because I think they want the fantasy that changing my hair style is a long, arduous process steeped in rich African history and in a weird way, I think I need the fantasy too but I don’t and just usually reply, it usually takes between four and five hours and nope, I’ve done it so long, it doesn’t hurt anymore..

Have a lovely week ahead guys!


4 comments:

HoneyDame said...

LMAOOOO....You should see my last post and see what I have been up to with my hair. I have given up on giving any explanation that makes sense. I just tell them "it's not mine!"
Saw your link from Che

Che said...

buhahahhahahhhaaa @ the hair braiding ritual. that would def silent their thoughts, but would also make them wonder at Africans. But really, don't they know we fix hair.
I just awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award. Check out the link from my blog. You take care dear.

Gee said...

LOL!! It can be like an interrogation sometimes- especially when they go into questions like ' how did they attach the hair to yours and all'

Thanks @honey dame for stopping by! would definitely check out the post!

Gee said...

@Che, thanks babes...

About Me

My photo
I've been saved by grace, redeemed by HIS love!! Still amazed that God calls me His friend... I'm a growing Christian, I love God and want to serve Him to the best of my abilities!

Followers

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger